Step 1: Who needs to complete a Travel Expense Report?
- Anyone who received a Travel Advance
- Anyone who needs reimbursement for expenses
Step 2: What receipts / paperwork are required?
- Travel to attend a conference: Provide the conference brochure showing any designated lodging, meals included in the conference fee and the opening and closing days of the conference. This is required for conference fees, designated lodging and per diem.
- Mileage to/from the airport: Odometer readings are required if you are claiming more than the standard map miles to the Tucson International Airport. The standard round trip to and from the airport is 20 miles.
- Airfare: The original passenger receipt coupon. Provide an explanation if you will be flying other than economy or coach. When purchasing tickets via the internet, the confirmation or receipt must indicate the name, itinerary and that the tickets have been paid for.
- Car Rental: The original itemized receipt from the car rental agency. Provide an explanation for upgrades, additional drivers or any other miscellaneous charges.
- Lodging: The original itemized statement from the hotel/motel with the following information: hotel/motel name, address and phone number, the dates of lodging, daily room charges or single room rates if more than one person is occupying the room. Business phone charges may be claimed as a miscellaneous expense if documented by receipt.
- Travel Advance Reimbursement: If the amount of the receipts is less than the advance amount, the traveler must deposit the amount due the university and reference the Cash Receipt number on the Travel Expense Report, within 10 days of returning from the trip.
Step 3: Who needs to approve a Travel Expense Report?
- The Traveler
Step 4: How will I get paid?
When all receipts and approvals are obtained, forward the Travel Expense Report to FSO-Operations who will:
- Check the receipts against the expense report.
- Reduce the amount due the employee by the amount of any Travel Advance
- Check that any money due the university has been deposited. Be sure to reference the Cash Receipt on the expense report.
- If the Traveler is due money:
- Current employee - The payment will go through the Direct Deposit process and be deposited in the employee's bank account.
- Current student or affiliate - A check will be cut to the payee.