UA departments can prepay traveler hotel expenses through FSO Travel via Disbursement Voucher. This service can be used to pay for room and tax under object codes 6140 (In-state) or 6240 (Out-state), significantly reducing out of pocket expenses for University travelers. In general, this will cover expenses less than $5,000 for commercial lodging establishments. For expenses greater than $5,000, use the Requisition/Purchase Order process.
- Prepaid Travel Program is restricted to business travel expenses only. This program is not available to travelers incorporating personal days as part of the travel itinerary.
- Prepaid Travel Program is not allowed for payment to international hotels due to language barriers, currency conversions and time zone restrictions.
The procedure below describes the Disbursement Voucher process for hotel expenses less than $5,000.
Step 1: Establish hotel reservations
- Make reservation(s) with the lodging establishment and obtain Hotel Confirmation indicating total cost with room and tax, full name of guest (employee), and confirmation number.
NOTE: To expedite the process please obtain the hotel's Credit Card Authorization Form and attach the blank copy to the DV when created. Accounts Payable can complete this step, but may require extra time. It is also recommended that the individual initiating the reservation provide a copy of the hotel confirmation to the traveler.
Step 2: Establish Vendor in UAccess Financials
- Determine if Hotel is a current University of Arizona vendor in UAccess Financials:
Main Menu > Lookup and Maintenance > Vendor
Hint: Enter an asterisk (*) at beginning and end of vendor name
- If the hotel exists as a current UA vendor proceed to Step 3
- If the hotel does not exist as a current UA vendor, initiate the vendor in UAccess Financials. See UPK Training: Payments & Reimbursements > Creating a Disbursement Voucher Vendor. Accounts Payable will obtain an IRS W9 form from the hotel.
- Upon approval of the vendor (check your action list for an FYI approval to obtain the vendor number) begin step 3
Step 3: Create a Disbursement Voucher (DV) in UAccess Financials
A DV must be initiated and approved by departmental business office a minimum of 5 business days prior to traveler checking into the hotel, to allow the Travel Office time to work with the hotel.
Create a Disbursement Voucher for the hotel directly using the following criteria:
- Description = Employee Full name - Prepaid Hotel
- Explanation = UA Business Purpose (Ex: Name of Conference attending)
- Org Doc # = Travel Authorization #
- Payment Reason Code = Y - Prepay Travel Expense
- Enter Vendor # = Hotel where reservations made
- Check Amount = Full amount of room plus tax for hotel stay
- Payment Method = C - AP Credit Card
- Check Stub Text = User preference as this is not transmitted to the vendor (AP/Travel recommends = Room Confirmation number(s))
- Accounting Lines Tab: Object Code = 6140 - In state lodging, 6240 - Out of state lodging
- Org Ref ID - Travel Authorization #
- Line Description - Departmental choice or AP recommends Traveler last name + end date of travel
- One traveler per accounting line and include traveler name in Line Description
- Click Add
- Invoice number = PREPAY + TRV + End Date of travel
- Pre-Paid Travel Expenses Tab
- Location = City, State
- Type = PL - PREPAID LODGING
- Start Date = Hotel check in Date
- End Date = Hotel check out Date
- Name = Employee Name in first accounting line
- Department Code = ORG / Department Number
- Req/Instate = Travel Authorization Number without the "T"
- Amount = Total amount of Room plus Tax
- Click Add
- Attach hotel confirmation to Notes/Attachment tab
- NOTE: If the lodging amount exceeds the per diem rate for the area, please add a note in the Notes/Attachment tab with an explanation for the overage or any clarification regarding designated lodging requirements, otherwise this may delay processing.
- Attach credit card authorization form if available from hotel
- Disbursement Voucher MUST BE approved by authorized account approver (Ex: Fiscal / Business Officer) prior to Travel Office taking any action to ensure funding is in approved status.
NOTE: Please DO NOT send over DV cover sheet or supporting documentation.
Accounts Payable/Travel Office Responsibility
Accounts Payable is notified daily via UAccess Analytics reporting on all ENROUTE Disbursement Vouchers (DV) for which the Prepaid Travel Payment Reason Code was used. Accounts Payable will process and place notes directly on the DV Notes/Attachment TAB as a communication tool to keep department informed of status.
- Travel Office will send an email notification to the Traveler and the Disbursement Voucher Initiator of pending Travel lodging arrangements one or two weeks prior to the departure date.
- Traveler will be instructed to provide a personal credit card at check-in to cover any incidental charges during their stay.
NOTE: Hotels typically charge the UA Travel credit card once the traveler(s) has checked out of the hotel. Please contact Travel office at 520-621-9097 or firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.