What is GLACIER?
Who should use GLACIER?
Foreign nationals (except for lawful permanent residents) who receive income from the University of Arizona are generally required to use GLACIER.
(except for permanent residents)
|Income Type||Payment method||Contact|
|UA employees (including student employees)||Salaries/Wages||Payroll||Payroll
|UA students - scholarship recipients||Non-service Scholarship/Fellowship||Student Account||International Student Services (ISS)
|Other visitors (e.g. speakers, consultants, post doc fellows, performers, non-UA students, etc.)||Speaker fee, honorarium,
performance fee, royalty, prize, award, etc.
|Disbursement Voucher||Accounts Payable
What can GLACIER do?
A foreign national can complete a personal record in GLACIER online. GLACIER collects data from the foreign visitor such as current immigration status, country of citizenship and residence, relationship with the University, income received from the University, and the history of presence in the US (immigration status and length of stay of each visit). Based on the information provided by the foreign national, GLACIER can:
- Determine the tax residency for the foreign national
- Determine the appropriate tax treatment on the foreign national’s income received from the University, including eligibility of tax treaty benefits
- Pre-fill applicable tax forms (W-8BEN, Form 8233 etc) for the foreign national
- Prepare a tax summary report for the foreign national
- Notify the foreign national by email to update the information
How to use GLACIER?
After a GLACIER contact initiates a GLACIER record with the foreign national's name and email address, GLACIER will send an email from email@example.com to the foreign national with login information. The foreign national can then complete their record in GLACIER, print the resulting forms and reports, complete any additional required fields including signature, and submit all documentation according to the instructions provided by GLACIER.