Financial Services has updated the Independent Contractor Form in support of Policy 9.12 Independent Contractor Services. The form can now be completed, signed, and submitted electronically. It should be completed prior to any services being performed.
The Internal Revenue Service presumes that all individuals who provide a service are employees unless there is evidence to support the classification of the individual as an independent contractor. This form collects the information required for a department to determine if an individual's services are dependent and that of an employee, or that of an independent contractor.
Additional form enhancements include:
- A request for department contact information has been added to:
- help a prospective independent contractor return the form to the appropriate party
- enable Accounts Payable, Procurement & Contracting Services, and Tax Services to reach the appropriate party if more information is needed
- Security sensitive information, such as Social Security Number, has been removed to prevent transmission of sensitive data in a non-secure manner.
- If not previously submitted, an IRS Form W-9 or the University's Substitute W-9 may be requested prior to payment to meet the University's income reporting requirements.
Please contact Tax Services at email@example.com or 520-621-1957 if assistance is needed with making an independent contractor determination.
Please contact Accounts Payable at firstname.lastname@example.org or 520-621-9097 with any questions regarding routing and submission of the form or payment details.